Monday, October 20, 2008

Colours

Now if anyone asked me my favourite colour, I would probably laugh out loud. How can I have a favourite colour? How can I describe the depths of the blue I love or the ripples on the scarlet that catch the light? How is it that blue and green look so hot together? Why do magenta and orange compliment each other? 
I don't know.....it is a thing I feel. I can sense the colour that would work on a certain design, I can visualise it in my head, seeing it in the tones and hues I imagine it to be.  The range of color is vast and varied, full of tones, subtleties, saturations, variation and nuances. There is a color for every kind of dreamer, for every kind of situation. 
Colour varies with seasons, with time, with moods, with experiences ...with the world. Its an innate abstract notion of a finite hue. It could be an ochre sky, a chrome sunflower, a zesty lemon or a rich creamy yellow. It could have the shine of a peacock feather, the brilliance of azure or the jar of cobalt blue. It could have the lushness of a rainforest, the strength of the trees, the freshness of dew drops on the immature grass and yet it would be called green.
How can one describe the sparkle of an emerald or the blue of the boundless sky? Why is it that white is considered bridal in the West but inauspicious in the East. Why is purple the royal colour and why does brown lack so much character? I don't know, but I know that I can feel colour within my self. I can weigh it, I can touch it, I know whether its coarse or smooth, hot or cold. I know in my heart if it would work in an artwork. As for my favourite colour...its as varied as the seasons, as brilliant as the spectrum and as mundane as all the colours put together.

1 comment:

Simi Alexander said...

The color that brings out a blissful emotion in a person is beautiful color. It can be different for every emotion. I hope you don't mind me making my comments on your blog. I really did not know you had your own blog. I really like the way you write.